Wednesday, July 11, 2012

An Unexpected Meeting with Mt. Fujisan


My day began like every other usual day with my walk with Ashta, reading my Bible, going to the gym to lift weights, then to the pool for laps as my cardio workout.  After swimming I headed to the commissary due to the lack of food in the fridge.  I saw a friend from the women’s Bible study group on base and we started chatting about our summer activities, yep, a typical day on base.

Just then a man began to walk by, and then stopped, “Hi ladies, do you by chance know anyone that would be willing to drive to Mt. Fuji today? We are looking for someone to take my family and another family for the day.  Do you know anyone who needs money?”

I paused, waiting for more information, “Why, do you need a ride?”

“We are a military family from Korea and are stuck here for a couple of days, but we don’t have a driver’s license, so we need a local to drive. And we really don’t want to take the train.”

I’m certain God had allowed “Destiny” to touch my life that morning.  My friend looked at me and stated she would gladly do it, but she had a little one to take care of.  Slowly, cautiously I answered, “Well, I don’t have kids.” His face began to lighten, and I went on,  “I don’t have a job, and the only thing I really must do is go to the store as we are out of food.”

Eagerly, he showed me his ID to show that he meant what he said and promised the rental of an 8-passenger van, all expenses paid, and eighty dollars for my time. 

“I’ll meet you at the hotel at 1200,” I stated with a hint of uncertainty and complete exhilaration.  I planned on BBQ-ing a chicken and reading my book, not climb Mt. Fujisan!  I practically ran through the commissary, drove home, and came home to find my wonderful hubby home for lunch.

“So, honey, how do you feel about me earning 80 bucks today?”

“Sounds good so far.” I proceeded to explain the situation and he graciously helped me unload groceries, feed me, pack a lunch, and send me out the door with plenty of time to spare; with one concerned question, “Did you look at his ID?” “Yes,” I beamed.  

I arrived at the hotel on time, and saw 5 kids and 3 adults just as he had promised. As we rented the van, my fears of driving a MASSIVE van through the skinny streets of Japan welled up in my heart, “Dear Jesus, Please help me drive safe! What was I thinking?!”

So we embarked on our journey.  The children found their voices, “Mom, how long is it to Mt. Fuji?” “Hey stop pushing!” “Mom, he called me dumb!” “Let’s sing a song!”

The sound of fatherly authority reigned over the confusion of noise, “Okay kids, you need to keep your voices down while we are driving, no shouting!”  So this is a big family road trip, the movies aren’t wrong!  After, the kids were well behaved and the trip was rather enjoyable, as we traveled through winding mountain roads, various species of trees densely covering the mountainside, and small towns scattered on the side of the road. Though the drive was beautiful, we questioned our whereabouts several times.

Half way through the drive, the families broke out their snacks and were munching on Chex Mix, gummies, and cookies.  Suddenly I heard, “Hey Driver! Do you want anything? We have tons of stuff!” I burst in to laughter as I heard, “Uh, her name is Amy.” Regaining composure I declined, “No thank you, I’m fine.”  I can’t count times I have heard “Hey Teacher!” but “Hey Driver” was new material for me!

Two hours later we reached the national park, which appeared to be socked in and raining, the gusts of wind made it feel as if this trek would be impossible to make; yet again, the clouds were blown away to become beautiful swirls caressing the mountain top, some created a formation that literally looked like a stairway to heaven. Seeing the fullness of these clouds made one want to jump off the mountain to run and play on the dense fluffy white playground, (what could go wrong?). 























Mt. Fujisan’s trails were made of rock formed from lava, some looked like pumice, others thick and deep red, all forms of igneous rock.  The trails were wide for many people to climb it at the same time; “Konichiwa!” (Hello) was heard all around.  The Japanese that had learned English were enthusiastic with the opportunity to talk with Americans and ask us questions. 

We hiked for about 1.5 hours and reached the 7th station where the wind grew stronger and trees no longer grew due to the lack of air. Short stubby bushes and tiny flowering plants scattered the dense, rocky mountain.  There were several buildings to be used as shelter for hikers during a storm, one offered snacks and a Mt. Fujisan stamped on a piece of paper or walking stick.  We turned around and headed to the van due to a lack of time and the clouds began to sock in around the mountain and the wind blew even harder.  

Everyone was exhausted and extremely happy with the outcome of the trip.  It had been so much fun.  Now it was time to go down the mountain, and make sure the GPS was directing us in the right direction, which was a challenge as all of the buttons and instructions were in the Japanese Hiragana and Katakana.  The trip home went much quicker and we stopped at a rest stop on the side of the road. Unlike American rest stops, these are establishments with food courts, grocery markets, clean bathrooms, and places to sit and rest.  We made it back to the base around 2200 and said our goodbyes.

What an amazing day God had blessed me with!





3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy!

    My husband and I are coming to Japan in August and plan on climbing Mt Fuji. I'm pretty nervous about the climb because from everything I have read it seems like there is little prepackaged gluten free options available and there is gluten hidden in almost everything in Japan! We are planning on arriving the night before and doing the night climb to see the sunrise. Did you eat at any of the stations on the mountain? I might just make something in our hostel the day before and bring it with me, but just in case I am hungry I would like to know there are some options.

    Thank you!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren!

      What you have read is very true about the gluten free options here in Japan. It is really tough sometimes. I did not eat at any of the stations, however, I believe they mainly serve Ramen. Your best case scenario would be to order plain rice. I bring my own tuna packets and then I add the tuna to the rice so I have a make shift hot meal which can be nice. Onigiri is a Japanese snack that I have had pretty good luck with:

      http://www.google.com/search?q=onigiri+food&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=N4nnUY3ZGISolAWYtoCABg&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1173&bih=878

      These are rice balls that have different filings like shrimp, tuna, salmon, and many different kinds of things. Some of them are not so delicious, you can buy these at any mini-mart... Many of the 7-Eleven stores here also serve salads and those have saved me a couple of times, but I never eat the dressing.

      Lonely Planet has a book of translations, and one of the pages in there actually says "I'm allergic to gluten etc.." I carry that book with me everywhere and the Japanese are pretty helpful about telling me if I can eat there or not. Typically the Japanese do not like substituting things, but they are very kind about these allergies

      http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Lonely-Planet-Phrasebooks-Yoshi/dp/1741042313/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374128953&sr=1-1&keywords=9781741042313

      If you do not want to buy this book then I know there are many apps that can help you translate English to Japanese. I would definitely plan on bringing all of your own stuff. It is not worth getting sick on that mountain; it is definitely a challenge to climb!

      Cheers!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete